Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I’m Blake Dodge, and I cover what big tech is up to in healthcare. Today in healthcare news:
- Take our 5-question quiz about biotech billionaires and their paychecks;
- Doctors walk out over unvaccinated patients;
- Pfizer’s CEO predicts a vaccine-resistant coronavirus variant
If you’re new to this newsletter, sign up here.
The pandemic created a bunch of biotech billionaires. Take our 5-question quiz to see how well you know the pay trends shaping the drug industry.
- Insider has collected compensation data from nearly 200 publicly traded drug companies and biotechs.
- But how diverse are the CEO ranks? Is compensation actually tied to performance?
- Test your knowledge with these 5 simple questions.
75 doctors from South Florida hospitals staged a symbolic walkout to protest a surge in unvaccinated COVID-19 patients
- Doctors walked out of some Florida hospitals on Monday, according to local reports.
- They’re aiming to draw attention to a surge in unvaccinated patients with COVID-19.
- Florida hospitals are filling up, with just 51.6% of the state’s population fully vaccinated.
- Dr. Albert Bourla, Pfizer’s CEO, said it’s likely we’ll see a vaccine-resistant coronavirus variant.
- Pfizer can produce a vaccine targeting a new variant within three months of its discovery, he said.
- Higher rates of virus circulation create more opportunities for variants to emerge.
More stories we’re reading today:
- Will breaking apart Google’s health bets give them a better shot at success? (Stat)
- Cerner’s incoming CEO David Feinberg will make nearly $35 million in the first 15 months (Becker’s Hospital Review)
- Apple employees are organizing to protest workplace issues (The Verge)
- A pizzeria in Alabama has offered to ‘literally hire anyone’ in a sign the labor shortage continues to hit restaurants hard (Insider)